The Airfield – Airbus UK Broughton

28 Aug

Airbus UK Broughton – 1

Colwyn Bay – 6

Preseason Friendly – 11th August 2012

So my amazing week of sport finished with a preseason friendly against Airbus UK.

After taking in the Olympic Park on Wednesday and Eton Dorney on Thursday, the Saturday saw me head down the coast from Colwyn Bay to the small village of Broughton to see Colwyn Bay’s last away pre-season friendly.

Airbus UK have become a stable side in the Welsh Premier League, after winning the Cymru Alliance in 2004, and have had a pretty good preseason including a victory over new Conference North boys – Chester FC.

Luke Denson had a cracking game for the visitors.

I left for Airbus in a car pool (yes! Odd for me!) quite late on, and arrived at the ground about a quarter of an hour before kickoff. Nevertheless, in that time I took in the ground (a small ground located on the edge of Airbus UK’s Broughton factory, hence the name), bought a burger and a badge from the club shop. It is – to coin a phrase associated with us Welsh – tidy. The pitch was immaculate and the game kicked off.

Colwyn Bay started brightly against a tricky team, and took the lead after 10 minutes when Rob Hopley linked up well with Luke Denson down the left wing, and a ball across the box eventually found its way to Paul Ennis who rifled into the top corner. Hopley – who was dangerous all day – nearly doubled Bay’s advantage when he – linking up well with Holdsgrove – fired in a shot that hit the crossbar with the keeper well beaten.

Airbus never really threatened, and really had an extra man on the pitch with the referee seemingly give the home side a lot more of the 50/50 decisions. One such incident was after Paul Ennis pulled up off the ball with a twisted knee, the game was allowed to continue by the referee. It was a friendly game for goodness sake!

Ennis eventually, after lengthy treatment, continued for a bit, and set up Colwyn Bay’s second from a left sided corner, that Hopley allegedly headed in, though it looked more like an own goal from my vantage point. That was the last action from Paul Ennis, who was substituted on the stroke of half time, with the score 2-0 to the visitors.

Colwyn Bay created chance after chance after chance.

The half time raffle followed, with a fantastic gesture from the Wingmakers – all proceeds going to Danny Meadowcroft’s charity. Our captain Danny Meadowcroft’s daughter suffers from Short Bowel Syndrome and is running the Great North Run for “Short Bowel Survivors and Friends” and “Ronald McDonald House Charities”. You can donate if you want here.

The second half began and the game was effectively over ten minutes later when Kevin Holdsgrove scored a 6 minute hat trick, all three from fast break, and all three with confident finishing. Holdsgrove linked up well, and was immediately taken off following his hat-trick, to be replaced by Allan Collins. Collins got the sixth after beating the keeper to the ball on 65 minutes. Michael Thomas then got the ball in the net but it was ruled offside, Hopley hit the bar again, and Airbus UK got a late consolation, a penalty, to make sure that Colwyn Bay’s run of not keeping a clean sheet extends for one more game.

Nevertheless, it was a great day in the office for Colwyn Bay. After a wobble after the Rhyl game that lasted until the Caersws game, we’ve picked it up again. Holdsgrove and Hopley seem to be full of goals for this season. I’m excited for the season, bring on the Blue Square North!

About Rhys Wynne

Rhys Wynne is the editor & creator of You're Supposed To Be At Home. For his sins, he is a Colwyn Bay & Liverpool fan, and a serial blog creator. You can follow Rhys on twitter here.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply